Thursday, March 14, 2024

Winter Wolf


 Acrylic on Canvas 6x6  SOLD

I once visited a Wolf Research Park for a photo shoot. After an educational seminar to keep us safe around the wolves we were allowed in the enclosure to photograph the wolves. It was an exciting experience. I wish I lived closer to the park because I would love to visit more frequently to observe the wolves. As it is I've spent many hours watching and photographing endangered Mexican Grey Wolves at conservation facilities. This was my third try painting this same wolf. I feel I finally captured his spirit. I know what I see in this portrait, but you might see an entirely different character. To me that's what animal portrait is about. It's like a song lyric that takes on different meanings to each person. This painting has quite a bit of surface texture as I used a palette knife in some areas.